[Faccus] NETWORK ALERT - 2014-04-09 Wireless - Removing password authentication from uw-unsecured temporarily

bruce at uwaterloo.ca bruce at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Apr 9 12:30:51 EDT 2014

Date: (YYYY-MM-DD)     2014-04-09

Start Time:              13:00

End Time:

Impact:

Resolution:

Submitted By: bruce at uwaterloo.ca

Comment:        Due to the heartbleed bug http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/heartbleed-bug-may-expose-your-private-data-1.2602610 we are temporarily removing the password authentication from the uw-unsecured wireless ssid, until the vendor provides the patch and we install it (expected Friday).   This action is to prevent passwords
being available in controller memory and accessible to on campus attackers due to the heartbleed bug.

eduroam is not affected.  Please use eduroam if at all possible.

Notice Submitted:    Wed Apr 9 12:30:51 EDT 2014

Note:   If you have any questions or concerns please contact the IST Service Desk (CHIP) at ext: 84357 or helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca