[Faccus] SharePoint 2013 and Desktop MS-Office Issues

Stephen Markan smarkan at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 30 11:05:22 EST 2014


Hello all

Just wanted to up-date you on some of the issues we have encountered after the migration to SharePoint 2013
As I come across additional troubleshooting tips and tricks I will pass them on as well. For the most part this has gone fairly smoothly. We are still adjusting a few settings (such as time-outs on authentication and web-pages). Please do report any issues (please create an RT) you come across and we can make sure we try and address the concerns as soon as possible.

Please NOTE: We are on-hold for creating any NEW SharePoint sites while we adjust to this change. We will review each NEW site request and if it is urgent we will create a site. There are so many SharePoint sites that in general any new site could  probably be a sub-site of an existing site. In the next Phase of this project we will work on amalgamating sites into a structure that more closely follows the Nexus OU divisions. It will not be a perfect 1 to 1 mapping but it should result in a more manageable and stream-lined SharePoint sites hierarchy.

******************

ISSUE 1: First big issue was opening Excel files showed as "unable to display file error". We have remediated this issue on all migrated sites. However if a new site or subsite are created this issue will return. This is because SharePoint 2013 has the ability to display Excel files as a web view. Unfortunately this appears to be having some issues, so we the work-around was to set the default file display option to use a client application. If you come across this error the fix is to modify the SharePoint Site settings:

  1.  In the SharePoint site collection, choose the Settings icon > Site Settings.
  2.  On the Site Settings page, under Site Collection Administration, choose Site Collection Features.
  3.   On the Features page, for the Open Documents in Client Applications by Default feature, choose Activate to enable the OpenInClient feature (documents will open in the client application), or Deactivate to disable the OpenInClient feature (documents will open in the browser).

******************

ISSUE 2: On some Windows workstations no files will open even after the above setting is changed.
This is because Office is not installed correctly, or an add-on has been deleted. When Office is installed it should install a few SharePoint tools and features to enable the integration and hand-off.
To fix this issue:

  1.  Ensure that you are using Internet Explorer (32 bit) not the Internet Explorer (64-bit).
  2.  Verify the "SharePoint OpenDocuments Class" addon is installed and enabled.
  3.  Add the SharePoint site to the Local Intranet Sites of IE (https://sharepoint.uwaterloo.ca/)

You can enable the addon in Internet Explorer with the following steps:

  1.  Click Tools
  2.  Go to Manage Add-ons
  3.  In the Show box, click All add-ons
  4.  In the Name column, click SharePoint OpenDocumentsClass, click Enable.

But if the SharePoint OpenDocuments Class isn¹t listed in the collection of add-ons on your machine, you can try to fix it with the following steps. Cause it¹s possible that the add-on does exist somewhere but that it wasn¹t updated when recent Office upgrades were installed on your computer.

  1.   From the Start menu, click Control Panel, and then click Programs.
  2.  On the Control Panel Programs page, click Programs and Features.
  3.  Scroll down the list of installed programs, select Microsoft Office, and then click Change.
  4.  In the Change dialog, click Repair and then click Continue.

Little interaction is required from you until the repair operation is complete. At that time, you might need to reboot your computer so the changes can take effect.
When your computer finishes rebooting, go back into Internet Explorer and repeat the procedure for enabling the add-on.

**********************

ISSUE 3: Constant "Authentication Prompts" OR Client seems to have access but sees no content
This is happening for a variety of reasons please check the following:

  1.  The client needs have have been added to SharePoint as NEXUS\username. Some accounts were added as ADS\USERNAME. We did not clean these up because it may have caused other issues. Please delete any ADS\USERNAME accounts and add the correct NEXUS\Username
  2.  The workstation has cached credentials. To delete the Cached Credentials remove them from Windows 7 via the Credential Manage Control Panel (delete all SharePoint and all ADS\ accounts) and on MacOS use the KeyChain Access app to delete all SharePoint or ADS references
  3.  On Windows systems Add https://sharepoint.uwaterloo.ca to the Local Intranet security zone in the Control Panel "Internet Options".

*********************




-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.uwaterloo.ca/pipermail/faccus/attachments/20140130/eaf2ecb2/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Faccus mailing list