[Faccus] update Linux on eduroam
bruce at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 18 09:22:27 EST 2013
Linux on eduroam (excluding the Linux based Android)
Update November, 2013
* Less than half of Ubuntu Wi-Fi drivers and hardware combinations appear to work eith eduroam
* eduroam uses standards for Wi-Fi connectivity and authentication, including Enterprise WPA2, 802.1x, certificates, etc
* IST and campus help desks will attempt to assist, and can recommend some satisfactory USB adapters
* Only about 40% of Linux users on Wi-Fi use eduroam, the rest use uw-unsecured
* This contrasts with an average of 92% of other operating systems using eduroam
* Sometimes Linux users report problems, saying they can't get connected to eduroam. Most of these users report they can use uw-unsecured fine.
* We have confirmed difficulty getting a laptop with Ubuntu onto eduroam. Sometimes it connects but the connection is not reliable. It works fine on uw-unsecured. Also the same laptop with Windows 7 works fine for eduroam.
* We were able to fix that laptop by turning off 'n' in it:
* Create/edit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf and add the line Options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 then reboot. But that will only work for Intel using the iwlwifi driver. More info at
* We have successfully tried several USB Wi-Fi adapters, all of these work fine with Ubuntu on eduroam
* Intellinet 300N Wireless -> which uses the Ralink 802.11n driver
* TL-WN7200ND -> Uses the RT_V126.96.36.199_DR0 driver
* TL-WN722N -> Uses the Atheros USB 2.0 driver
* TL-WN822N -> RTL8192Cu driver
* Linux users experiencing difficulty should continue to visit a campus help desk or use the incident reporting tool<http://wifi.uwaterloo.ca/protected/incidentreport.php>, and hopefully we can develop a set of documentation with recommended adapter models, drivers, settings, and workarounds.
* We have also posted to a forum http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Education/Students-and-staff-with-Linux-on-WiFi/gpm-p/121913
* Approximately 0.8% of the devices using campus Wi-Fi are Linux
* Approximately 34% of Linux Wi-Fi users are in Computer Science, the single largest departmental use of Linux, following by the Faculty of Engineering accounting for 30% of use.
Director, Technology Integrated Services
Information Systems and Technology
(519)888-4567 x38323 or x40100
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Faccus