[Faccus] update Linux on eduroam

Bruce Campbell bruce at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 18 09:22:27 EST 2013

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~bruce/linuxoneduroam.html

Linux on eduroam (excluding the Linux based Android)

Update November, 2013

Summary

  *   Less than half of Ubuntu Wi-Fi drivers and hardware combinations appear to work eith eduroam
  *   eduroam uses standards for Wi-Fi connectivity and authentication, including Enterprise WPA2, 802.1x, certificates, etc
  *   IST and campus help desks will attempt to assist, and can recommend some satisfactory USB adapters

Additional Information

  *   Only about 40% of Linux users on Wi-Fi use eduroam, the rest use uw-unsecured
  *   This contrasts with an average of 92% of other operating systems using eduroam
  *   Sometimes Linux users report problems, saying they can't get connected to eduroam. Most of these users report they can use uw-unsecured fine.
  *   We have confirmed difficulty getting a laptop with Ubuntu onto eduroam. Sometimes it connects but the connection is not reliable. It works fine on uw-unsecured. Also the same laptop with Windows 7 works fine for eduroam.
  *   We were able to fix that laptop by turning off 'n' in it:
     *   Create/edit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf and add the line Options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 then reboot. But that will only work for Intel using the iwlwifi driver. More info at
        *   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/924099
        *   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1034740
  *   We have successfully tried several USB Wi-Fi adapters, all of these work fine with Ubuntu on eduroam
     *   Intellinet 300N Wireless -> which uses the Ralink 802.11n driver
     *   TL-WN7200ND -> Uses the RT_V2.5.0.3_DR0 driver
     *   TL-WN722N -> Uses the Atheros USB 2.0 driver
     *   TL-WN822N -> RTL8192Cu driver
  *   Linux users experiencing difficulty should continue to visit a campus help desk or use the incident reporting tool<http://wifi.uwaterloo.ca/protected/incidentreport.php>, and hopefully we can develop a set of documentation with recommended adapter models, drivers, settings, and workarounds.
  *   We have also posted to a forum http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Education/Students-and-staff-with-Linux-on-WiFi/gpm-p/121913
  *   Approximately 0.8% of the devices using campus Wi-Fi are Linux
  *   Approximately 34% of Linux Wi-Fi users are in Computer Science, the single largest departmental use of Linux, following by the Faculty of Engineering accounting for 30% of use.

--
Bruce Campbell
Director, Technology Integrated Services