[Faccus] NETWORK ALERT - 2013-03-27 - internet service

bruce at uwaterloo.ca bruce at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 27 16:18:55 EDT 2013

Date: (YYYY-MM-DD)     2013-03-27

Start Time:

End Time:

Impact:

Resolution:

Submitted By: bruce at uwaterloo.ca

Comment:
We are fairly confident that a fibre cut on
the ORION (http://www.orano.on.ca/) network
around 1:45pm caused UW's partial external
network outage.

ORION has a redundant network and is investigating
why a fibre cut caused a service interruption.  UW continued to receive BGP route advertisements
from ORION during the incident, and as such continued to forward traffic on the ORION network.

We still have ORION disconnected, and traffic
on our other connections (primarily HOT and Allstream) is now maxing out the 1gbps links:

https://strobe.uwaterloo.ca/~twiki/bin/view/ISTNS/ExternalNetworkStatsFiveMinutes

so some service slow down may be detected.

Notice Submitted:    Wed Mar 27 16:18:55 EDT 2013

Note:   If you have any questions or concerns please contact the IST Help Desk at ext: 84357 or helpdesk at uwaterloo.ca