[Faccus] LEARN - everything performing well

chappell at uwaterloo.ca chappell at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Feb 3 20:24:33 EST 2013

[Update Sun., Feb. 3, 8:15pm]
Hello,
Desire2Learn reported today that "all systems have operated above expected
performance and we have seen no indication of recurring issues." They also
report significant use (up to 80% of peak usage) and yet the system is not
loaded (operating at 20% of its capacity). I have had no problem reports
from staff who were checking this weekend. Everything looks good, and
seems to have returned to normal ever since Friday at 12:30pm.

There will be a lot of "clean up" work for ITMS LEARN support staff, the
Faculty Liaisons from CTE, support staff in CEL, and other support areas,
and of course for instructors who need to deal with changes in their
course schedules due to the disruption.

We will work with D2L to get further details on the event, and also to set
up an agreement whereby they work with us to plan infrastructure or other
major changes, so that we are part of the plan, understand the risks, and
participate in deciding when significant changes can take place. We will
also work, on our part, to improve our communications plan and contingency
plans based on lessons learned during this event.

Unless there is a change, this will be the last update on the system
itself but I'll keep you updated on what comes out of the event review.
Thanks!
Andrea

> [Update Fri., Feb. 1, 4:30pm]
> Hello,
> This is the email I've been wanting to send since about 3:26pm on
Tuesday.
> The Waterloo LEARN system has been running since about 12:30pm. We have
done local testing and people are on the system, and it appears to be
performing normally. We feel the system is stable and that it can go back
> into normal use. Desire2Learn continues to monitor their hosting site
and
> we will continue to check for any alerts. A thorough investigation into
events will begin next week, in collaboration with D2L.

> Thank you for your patience during this difficult time. And a huge thank
you from both me and Dave Wallace to everyone who pitched in to help
support students and professors, to communicate messages out, and to
support each other in these 3 very long days. We've learned a lot, and
while I never want to have to put it into action again, we will have much
> better contingency plans in future!
> Andrea
>
>> [Update Fri., Feb. 1, 1:40pm]
>> We had a phone call with the chief operating officer from Desire2Learn
>> short time ago. You may have already noted that our system is back
online.
>> They believe the problem is resolved for us, have performed their
functional testing, and are asking for us to test as well. Our first
priority is in making sure we have a fully functioning system. We are
going through a verification testing and hope to be able to report back by
>> 3:00 pm on how well the system is performing. D2L will be monitoring
the
>> systems closely and will send us any updates from other universities
who
>> are in the same situation as well.
>> Over the next week, we will undergo reviews with D2L and work with them
>> improve the planning process for changes that involve our system, so
that
>> we are aware of timing, potential risks, and participate in the
decisions
>> around planned changes. We also will work locally on improving
>> contingency
>> plans so we are better prepared to deal with such extraordinary
circumstances.
>> Thank you for your patience and we will report again when we have more
information on the system's stability now that it is back online.
Andrea
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> In an update this morning (not the official general one from D2L,
which
>>> had no news, rather from one of our reps), D2L has moved the majority
of
>>> clients to the upgraded data infrastructure put in place last fall,
and
>>> those clients are performing normally now.
>>> While they continue to move data, they also are attempting to make
improvements to the older infrastructure to allow remaining clients,
including us, to return to normal, but that will require verification and
>>> testing.
>>> Presumably one of these two-pronged approaches will be in place first
and
>>> we will be able to run.
>>> We have had several promises for a time line to completion but as of
8:45
>>> D2L does not have a resolution time for us.
>>> We have assurances there is no loss data, with verifying at every
stage
>>> which takes longer.
>>> We will update you as soon as we have substantive information. There
was
>>> to have been a "material status update" in the official general
updates
>>> from D2L, at about 7:30am, but that has not arrived.
>>> lines to report. We have been in touch with many of you as we focused
on
>>> getting messages to the Deans to send to their professors (sent to
Deans
>>> at the end of the day and won't be forwarded until morning in some
cases).
>>> posted
>>> the problem, and it involves moving our data (and that for about 25%
of
>>> their customers) so it is not behind a device that is causing the
problems. They are working towards that now. In parallel, they are
calculating estimates for how long the solution will take, and will send
>>> that information when it is available. They have said they will also
update the LEARN redirect site with information on progress,
presumably
>>> once they have established the expected time to completion. Otherwise,
the
Thank you, everyone, for your support and patience in this, and for all
>>> that you are doing to try to support faculty and students during this
very
>>> send to all instructors. In it will be a pointer to a support site,
showing instructors how to generate a mailing list to contact their
students by email. Instructions are also available for how to give access
>>> is
>>> slowness, and that specific clients (and we don't yet know if we are
one
Later
>>> D2L
>>> discuss the situation.