[Faccus] [UW-RT #271115] Update Fri. 8:45am: Status of LEARN - unavailable; data moves; no resolution time

Centre for Extended Learning General celgen at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 1 08:49:59 EST 2013

Fri Feb 01 08:49:59 2013: Request 271115 was acted upon.
Transaction: Ticket created by chappell
       Queue: ExtendedLearning
     Subject: Update Fri. 8:45am: Status of LEARN - unavailable; data moves; no resolution time
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: andrea.chappell at uwaterloo.ca
 Ticket <URL: https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/Ticket/Display.html?id=271115 >

Hello everyone,
In an update this morning (not the official general one from D2L, which
had no news, rather from one of our reps), D2L has moved the majority of
clients to the upgraded data infrastructure put in place last fall, and
those clients are performing normally now.

While they continue to move data, they also are attempting to make
improvements to the older infrastructure to allow remaining clients,
including us, to return to normal, but that will require verification and
testing.

Presumably one of these two-pronged approaches will be in place first and
we will be able to run.

We have had several promises for a time line to completion but as of 8:45
D2L does not have a resolution time for us.

We have assurances there is no loss data, with verifying at every stage
which takes longer.

We will update you as soon as we have substantive information. There was
to have been a "material status update" in the official general updates
from D2L, at about 7:30am, but that has not arrived.

> Hello everyone,
> Sorry for the long lapse, but there were no definitive answers or time
lines to report. We have been in touch with many of you as we focused on
getting messages to the Deans to send to their professors (sent to Deans
at the end of the day and won't be forwarded until morning in some cases).
> Also, we were providing information for a message to students (see
posted
> on the LEARN Help site, thanks to Daspina:
> https://uwaterloo.ca/learn-help/news/message-provost-regarding-learn )
>
> As of a 9:22pm update, D2L has confirmed that they know the solution to
the problem, and it involves moving our data (and that for about 25% of
their customers) so it is not behind a device that is causing the
problems. They are working towards that now. In parallel, they are
calculating estimates for how long the solution will take, and will send
that information when it is available. They have said they will also
update the LEARN redirect site with information on progress, presumably
once they have established the expected time to completion. Otherwise, the
> next update is at midnight.
>
> You may have noted already the article in the Record.
> http://www.therecord.com/news/business/article/878997--desire2learn-s-cloud-data-centre-issues-have-uw-wlu-offline
>
> Thank you, everyone, for your support and patience in this, and for all
that you are doing to try to support faculty and students during this very
> frustrating time.
> Andrea
>
>> Hello,
>> There has been no significant news on a recovery time. This update is
>> let you know there is a memo going to the Deans, meant as a message to
send to all instructors. In it will be a pointer to a support site,
showing instructors how to generate a mailing list to contact their
students by email. Instructions are also available for how to give access
>> to large files, rather than sending them through email.
>> https://uwaterloo.ca/learn-help/while-learn-down
>> News on LEARN is at the same site.
>> https://uwaterloo.ca/learn-help/news
>> We're not sure when the message will be sent to instructors, but this
is
>> heads up of the support they may be looking for.
>> More news as we get it.
>> Andrea
>>> [Thu., Jan. 31, 10:45am]
>>> Hello,
>>> The latest news indicates that other clients are also experiencing the
slowness, and that specific clients (and we don't yet know if we are one
>>> of them) will have data migrated to a different storage device. Later
>>> will send an update from a phone call Dave Wallace and I had with some
D2L
>>> executives. We will have short calls with the Deans over lunch hour to
discuss the situation.
>>> Andrea
very
>>> slow. They know there is a problem and were working on it. We agreed
it
>>> was better to have the system unavailable than run with those
problems.
>>> We
>>> testing of your site". However, the support team is seeing errors
(HTTP
>>> 500) and has had reports of problems logging in by students and
faculty
>>> members. The system is very slow. We will be talking to D2L about this
and
>>> anticipated finishing by then was 98% done, and that once it
>>> completed,
>>> confusing as to what this process is, except that it involves
>>> migration
>>> their
>>> Questions are arising individually about what will happen with
assignments
>>> assignments,
>>> announcements in their courses to indicate any changes, so student see
>>> followed by a verification process.
Access
Woodcock