[Faccus] Update 10:12pm: Status of LEARN - site remains redirected, recovery time estimated by midnight

chappell at uwaterloo.ca chappell at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 30 22:44:37 EST 2013

[Wed. Jan. 30, 10:00pm update]
Hello,
The latest message from D2L, at 10:12pm, says they still expect to have
the recovery by midnight. They have mentioned the need for verification
but have not indicated how long that might take. They have said they'll
take off the "maintenance" message when the recovery and verification is
complete. I assume that means they will remove the redirect then.

Questions are arising individually about what will happen with assignments
and tests. I think instructors are altering due dates for assignments, but
mid-terms are likely more difficult. Hopefully instructors will post
announcements in their courses to indicate any changes, so student see
those as the system is back up.

Next update is at midnight and I may not be awake for that!
Andrea

> [Wed. Jan. 30, 5:45pm update]
> Hello,
> The changes anticipated to be complete by 6:00pm are not complete. The
revised finish time is estimated for between 10:00pm and midnight,
followed by a verification process.

> The Waterloo LEARN system remains inaccessible during this time. Access
> the barely responsive system created many more problems for our faculty
and students (long wait times to access the system, if at all,
> interruptions to most course functions making those functions unusable,
inability to access files, etc.).

> We expect the next update at about 10pm. At this time the system has
for
> 27 hours. We will be seeking detailed explanations from D2L, as well as
their actions to prevent this from happening again.
> Andrea
>
>> [Wed. Jan. 30, 3:30pm update]
>> Hello,
>> The message from D2L remains the same, that the expected up-time is
6pm.
> Thanks to Pat Lafranier for enlisting the help of Jonathan Woodcock to put
>> for now a "Help with LEARN" button on the pathways pages on the
Waterloo