[Faccus] eduroam / watiam issues July 11/12

Bruce Campbell bruce at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 13 15:18:00 EDT 2012

As you may already know, we switched eduroam authentication
to use nexus (from ads) on July 11,  and then switched back July 12 to
ads after it didn't work well for many users.

We were operating on the assumption that passwords in
ads and nexus were the same for all users.  We've since learned
that approximately 13,000 of 20,000 active wireless users
may have different passwords in ads and nexus.

For users with different passwords, their laptop would
try to connect to eduroam with their ads password,
and fail, repeatedly, eventually locking out the account
for a time (and thus preventing watiam login).

We are now developing a plan to address this and
will announce this in advance of implementation.  We
may need to request 13,000 users change their
passwords, but will do everything we can to avoid
that.

Please accept my apologies for the problems this
caused.

--
Bruce Campbell
Director, Network Services