[Faccus] Update regarding Congress 2012 conference at Waterloo and Laurier, May 26 - June 2

Andrea Chappell chappell at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 20 15:19:20 EDT 2012

Most of you likely are not directly involved with Congress 2012,
http://congress2012.ca/, but since it is such a large and high profile
event, I will pass along this update from a meeting at Laurier on
Tuesday. Perhaps the most salient general note is the maximum
participant per day expectation was ~6500, and is now more like ~8500.
That's a large leap. We're going to see a lot of people across campus,
and you may even get asked questions by participants, though volunteers
and paid staff will be supporting IT and presentation needs.

Classrooms in various buildings at Waterloo and Laurier will be used for
the conference. Volunteers and staff working with the conference will
support those and related IT questions. Helpers will be wearing neon
yellow t-shirts, so should be easy to spot! Various classrooms in these
buildings have been booked for use.
AL, CPH, DWE, E2, EV1, EV2, EV3, HH, Coutts, MC, ML, PHY, PAS, DC

Wireless - There will be an SSID of Congress2012 with a common password
(which Bruce Campbell of IST has requested set up).
Eduroam - Participants from universities that support Eduroam will be
able to access this at uWaterloo.
Computer access - We are directing people, when at uWaterloo, to the
Library public access stations. Carl Nagel tells me the Library plans to
be open earlier on the weekends and to have the Browsers Coffee Shop
open as well.

As a reminder, here are ways in which you could be impacted, and could
also take part.
- Lots of wireless use!
- A lot of conference folks, possibly asking questions of you.
- Opportunities for your co-ops to volunteer, if you are willing to have
them take part. Their IT and or A/V knowledge, and familiarity with the
buildings and campus, would certainly be helpful. (See more:
http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/congress2012, and click on Volunteer and or
on Employment.)

If you have questions, ...
... about wireless for the conference, please contact Bruce Campbell
<campbell at uwaterloo.ca> <mailto:campbell at uwaterloo.ca>.
... about a/v and e-classrooms, please contact Andrea Chappell
<chappell at uwaterloo.ca> <mailto:chappell at uwaterloo.ca>.
... about the conference logistics, or would like to offter your co-ops
as volunteers, please contact Sheldon Pereira, the conference planning
manager <spereira at wlu.ca> <mailto:spereira at wlu.ca>.

Finally, the twitter hashtag for Congress is congress2012.
Cheers,