[Faccus] [Sec-wg] Hard drive degausser

Robyn Landers rblander at mfcf.math.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 31 11:44:41 EST 2012

> Otherwise, from what we are seeing, kiss your warranty coverage
> goodbye.   If you can't wipe the drive through software and if
> degaussing voids your warranty, you have no redress.  If you do not
> have your Policy 8 "Confidential" data encrypted on the drive using
> whole disk encryption, your options appear limited-- the drives must be
> securely destroyed[2].

So now I have to tell researchers that they will not be allowed
to use the hardware maintenance contracts they buy for their
RAID arrays to cover disk failures, they have to buy new disks.
Who is going to pay for those?

And internally we will not be allowed to use our hardware maintenance
contracts with NetApp to replace failed drives, we'll have to buy
new ones.   Who's going to pay for those?

Robyn