[Faccus] Fwd: Re: [Sec-wg] Hard drive degausser

Peter Schepers schepers at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 31 10:02:43 EST 2012

> We use a tool called "DBAN":
>     https://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/twiki/view/CF/WipeDiskDBAN
>
> We've been told by both IST And Central Stores that this meets the requirements for securely wiping a disk (it meets U.S Department of Defense standards).  We can then use those disks in machines being sent to surplus for resale.

As we and I suspect most do, esp when surplussing. This software erasure
method usually fails on faulty drives, hence the need for a degausser to
erase sensitive data before sending to a vendor for replacement.

Peter Schepers
University of Waterloo
IST/Hardware Services, Shop Senior
200 University Ave West