[Faccus] [Sec-wg] Hard drive degausser

Lawrence Folland lfolland at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 31 09:52:24 EST 2012

We use a tool called "DBAN":
   https://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/twiki/view/CF/WipeDiskDBAN

We've been told by both IST And Central Stores that this meets the requirements for securely wiping a disk (it meets U.S Department of Defense standards).  We can then use those disks in machines being sent to surplus for resale.

Lawrence

--
Lawrence Folland                                 e-mail: lfolland at uwaterloo.ca
Technical Manager, Research Support              office: DC 2563