[Faccus] [Sec-wg] Hard drive degausser

Carlos Mendes carlos.mendes at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 30 12:31:39 EST 2012

Hi Jason,
We use the shredding process for old drives.

It is just a shame to send 2 x  2TB drives for shredding instead of warranty exchange because we are worried about data.  There would be a lot of people on the same boat, as many of the suppliers offer a 3year warranty.

For the last year or so with FIPPA we have been telling folks to by a new drive as opposed to replacing it under warranty. Some say the risks are minimum, but I really don't know what the HD manufactures do with defective drives.

Maybe we need some clarification as to how to deal with this issue.

Thanks
Carlos