[Faccus] Hard drive degausser

Carlos Mendes carlos.mendes at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 30 11:06:34 EST 2012

This would be a nice service to have on campus, especially given all the new government regulations regarding private information.   I would venture to guess that not every HD that gets replaced under warranty on campus is wiped properly, and I suspect that the same issue happens with old laptops and HD sent to surplus.

It's an expensive device to expect every faculty to have one, but a reasonable cost to have it housed somewhere centrally!

IST or Central Stores (surplus location) comes to mind.

Carlos