[Faccus] SEP Upgrade for Home/User Managed Clients

Tim Farrell tim at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 3 10:44:54 EST 2010

On Monday December 6, 2010 Information Systems and Technology Computer Systems Group will be releasing Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 11.0.6100.645 to machines that have the "Faculty/Staff" SEP client from the IST Download site. Symantec Endpoint Protection has an auto-upgrade feature so workstations should over a few days download and install the new client. When the install commences a pop-up window will advise the user with the message, "UW IST has initiated this auto-upgrade of your Symantec client. You can confirm this on the IST home page Notice Board". The upgrade is silent (other than the pop-up) and takes about 15 minutes to complete.

I maintain a SEP at UW web page at: http://windows.uwaterloo.ca/security/sep/sep.asp  Those who support client workstations may be interested in the SEP Technical Notes section where I have been collecting various problems and solutions. In particular at this time of deployment there is an item that deals with clients that do not auto-upgrade   http://windows.uwaterloo.ca/security/sep/sep_wont_upgrade.asp I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or experiences you may have related to SEP.

Tim Farrell
Information Systems and Technology, MC-1036, University of Waterloo.
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1 * 519-888-4567 X35189