[Faccus] Changes to Sharepoint: November 2, 2010

Stephen Markan smarkan at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 29 22:55:56 EDT 2010

Hello SharePoint Administrators!

This is an update on the migration of https://sharepoint.uwaterloo.ca/ from the current Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) version to the latest SharePoint Foundation 2010 version.

We have reached a point where we need to remove templates that cannot be migrated. The majority of SharePoint sites have been cleaned of these templates. We aware there may still be some sites with possible template issues. We will assist in restoring access to the data on any problem sites.

The Plan at this point is as follows:
1) A full backup of WSS will happen Tuesday November 2, 2010
2) Tuesday November 2, 2010 during the evening the following templates will be uninstalled:
RoomEquipmentReservations
DocumentLibraryReview
EventPlanning
Helpdesk
Vacation and Absence
GroupBoard
RAD Editor
Helpdesk

If you are still using one of these templates, you may wish to move the data to a new sub-site based of the default “Team Site” template. There is the possibility that some sites may become locked once the templates are removed. If you find a problem please send an email to request at ist.uwaterloo.ca<mailto:request at ist.uwaterloo.ca>  and access to the locked data will be provided.

3) All SharePoint Site Admins are asked to review their sites and report any problems after the templates are removed (please send details of the problem via email to request at ist.uwaterloo.ca<mailto:request at ist.uwaterloo.ca> ).  Our expectation is there will be some minimal problems with layout and formatting, but that all data will remain available. On Monday November 8 the SharePoint Team will review how the WSS sites have been impacted by the template removal and set a date for the switching from the old WSS server to the new SharePoint Foundation 2010. This switch should happen during the week of November 8, 2010. Specific dates will be confirmed and sent out to all SharePoint Admins.

Stephen Markan
IST Client Services Consultant and SharePoint Coordinator.