[Faccus] Exchange 2010 migrations slowing down

Trevor Bain etbain at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 27 15:29:17 EDT 2010

Further to my email last week...

IST has been moving email accounts from the Exchange 2007 servers to the 2010 servers non-stop since Monday morning. This strategy was taken to minimize the transition time between the two systems. Over the last few days, we have noticed log files building up -- indicating that the backup systems have been unable to keep pace with the account migration.

At this point, a decision has been made to:

1. migrate remaining Exchange 2007 accounts at a slower pace and during the day. The experience with the Academic Support departments migrated during working hours (Monday and Tuesday) indicates that the disruption is minimal.

2. allow time for Exchange backup and built-in maintenance routines to run at night

3. post the migration schedule on the IST website to allow clients to follow the migration progress and have an indication of when their department migration will occur (http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/cs/exchange/Exchange_2010_is_here.html).

We will update the schedule daily to indicate which department moves are planned for the next day but the schedule will be dependent upon nightly backups and maintenance routines completing successfully.

Currently, the account migration is scheduled to resume on Friday, October 29th.

Trevor

--
Trevor Bain, IST
etbain at uwaterloo.ca