[Faccus] [CTSC] New Password Standards

Jason Testart jatestart at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 20 14:05:53 EDT 2010

  Hi all,

An update: There was a delay in the development of the mechanism for
allowing WatIAM to change NEXUS passwords for the completion of step #2
of the implementation plan.  The mechanism has been completed and tested
and the change is slated to go into production next week.

Here's the note from Alan George that's been sent to Chris Redmond for
posting to the Daily Bulletin:

    Effective Tuesday October 26th, 2010, the password change facility
    in WatIAM <http://watiam.uwaterloo.ca/> will change both your ADS
    password (also known as your "WatIAM password') AND your NEXUS
    account password, if you have one. This is being done as a first
    step in the project to consolidate the ADS and NEXUS computing
    environments.  Please also note that the minimum password length is
    now 8 characters.  Password length requirements are enforced at
    password change so previously set passwords that are shorter than 8
    characters will still work.  All members of the university community
    are encouraged to change their passwords in WatIAM following the
    October 26th change to ensure ADS and NEXUS passwords are the same
    when the environments are consolidated.

Steps #3 and #4 have no dates set since they are dependent on the WatIAM
upgrade and the AD consolidation project.

jt