[Faccus] Symantec AntiVirus 10.X End-of-Life

Tim Farrell tim at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 25 16:18:26 EDT 2010

In January of this year Symantec began the End of Life (EOL) process for Antivirus 10.X.  January 4, 2011 is the End of Availability date. IST maintains three Symantec AntiVirus servers and would like to retire these by September 15, 2010.

If you would like a list of computers using the old SAV servers please send me a note. There are currently over 1,000 UW based IPs still using the server "Antivirus".  Starting next week I will email the ONA contacts for these computer recommending that they should upgrade.

The replacement for Symantec AntiVirus (SAV) is Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). SEP contains additional functionality such as malware protection, ability to upgrade client software, zero-day attack protection and an integrated firewall (optional). Instructions for migrating to SEP can be found here: http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/admin/virus.html

Please advise your clients that their home computers need to be upgraded as well.

SYSYEM ADMINISTRATORS
SEP has a management console that enables you to set policy and attributes. As long as you have administrator rights on a workstation you can find unmanaged SAV computers and remotely install SEP. Once SEP is installed you can update client software, alter attributes, view reports and so on. If you would like a console please contact me.

 I maintain a SEP page http://windows.uwaterloo.ca/security/sep/sep.asp for UW computer support personnel that contains SEP documentation, Problems/Solutions and Guides.

Tim Farrell
Information Systems and Technology, MC-1036, University of Waterloo.
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1 * 519-888-4567 X35189