Bob Hicks bob.hicks at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 9 20:12:46 EST 2010

Topic:     Data Recovery
Date:      Friday March 12, 2010
Time:      9:00 am - 9:45 am
Room:      MC 2009
Speaker:   Doug Coughey

At UW we ask that our clients save their data on the network drive. The network drive is backed up, and is not affected if a client's workstation's C-drive fails. Unfortunately many clients (faculty, staff and students) save important documents on memory sticks and on laptop hard drives that are not backed up. Anyone that has worked in a Help Desk on campus can tell you about a student who has saved an important documents (assignment, project, thesis) on a memory stick and it doesn't work anymore. In the old days, it was diskettes! You may have read that putting a broken memory stick in the freezer may help get your data back. Does it?

It is generally accepted among professional data recovery labs that the number one reason for data loss is hardware failure with the number two reason being human error. What is also believed,  but is not generally made public, is that a lot  of data loss is caused or compounded by IT staff trying to recover data. Doug will explain why that is and suggest ways to minimize the risk of losing clients' data.

Office: Math and Computer Building, Room 2010
Phone: (519) 888-4567, x32194
Fax: (519) 888-4331
Email: bjhicks at uwaterloo.ca