[Faccus] SAS

Sandra Laughlin laughlin at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 10 11:36:03 EST 2010

Good morning

Our SAS license for campus is changing from “an all you can eat” to an “a la
carte” model (their wording).

I have included the changes that they are implementing so that you can get
an idea of what is happening.

Licensing for the desktop is still available for faculty, staff and students
but the server licensing has been separated and there will be additional
charges for it.

To move ahead with this, I will need to know if you are running SAS on
servers and if you require any of the a la carte items. Please note that you
will be responsible for any of the above costs. To be as cost effective as
possible, we can bundle the servers from different areas together.

Please forward this to any SAS users in your area that this email does not
reach.

If you have questions, please let me know and I will forward them on to our
SAS rep.

Our current license expires April 30 2010, so if possible please email me
your SAS requirements by the end of March.

>From SAS:

New SAS Product Set for Academics

·         The former suite of products for academics (Academic Premier
Program or APP) is now over 7 years old and contains unsupported products.
For this reason it will be discontinued as of renewal dates in 2010.

·         The Education Analytic Suite (EAS) will replace the APP.
Functionality between the APP and EAS will be quite similar. In most cases
academic users will not see any difference. There will be a few products
moved outside of the EAS, licensed a-la-carte, and there are some additional
products being added.

·         The products below were included with the top level APP and are
now priced a-la-carte:

o   SAS Enterprise Miner

o   SAS IntrNet

o   SAS ACCESS

o   SAS AppDev Studio

o   SAS MDDB Server

Like the APP, the EAS can be used by students, professors, researchers,
university administration staff on university owned machines as well as
student/staff owned machines as long as the software is being used for
academic purposes – teaching, research or administration work.

Server Price Points

§  Server price points are now based on the number of operating systems and
power of the server(s) in question. See below:

Installs

Yearly Fees (Canadian Funds)

Up to 5 CPU's

3900

Up to 10 CPU's

5800

Up to 25 CPU's

8800

Up to 50 CPU's

13300

Up to 100 CPU's

20000

                                Notes:

1.       SAS defines # of CPU’s per sever as # of processors x # of cores
(eg. dual core dual processor server = 2 x 2 = 4 CPU’s)

2.       The prices above are per operating system (eg. if a customer has 1
x 4 CPU Linux server and 1 x 1 CPU Windows Server the price point would be
$3900 (Linux) + $3900 (Windows) for a total of $7800)

3.       There is a maximum amount of $20,000 for server installs regardless
of the number of operating systems and CPU’s. After the $20,000 has been
reached any amount of servers can be added as long as SAS is informed.

A-La-Carte Price Points

§  Should you require pricing information for any of the above a-la-carte
options this can be provided. The price points depend on several factors
(environments, intended use, etc.) and should probably be discussed only
within the required context.

Table 1: Comparison of Products Included in both the APP and EAS

§  Base SAS

§  SAS/ASSIST

§  SAS/CONNECT

§  SAS/FSP

§  SAS/GRAPH

§  SAS/LAB

§  SAS/SHARE

§  SAS/ACCESS Interface*

§  SAS/ETS

§  SAS/QC

§  SAS/STAT

§  SAS Online Tutor

§  Enterprise Guide

§  SAS/INSIGHT

§  SAS/IML

§  SAS/EIS

§  Base SAS

§  SAS/ASSIST

§  SAS/CONNECT

§  SAS/FSP

§  SAS/GRAPH

§  SAS/LAB

§  SAS/SHARE

§  SAS/ACCESS Interface*

§  SAS/ETS

§  SAS/QC

§  SAS/STAT

§  SAS Online Tutor

§  Enterprise Guide

§  SAS/INSIGHT

§  SAS/IML

§  SAS/EIS

Products not carried over to EAS

·          SAS/CALC (no documentation available any longer)

o   It’s functions have been incorporated into SAS Stat since version 6.

·          SAS/GIS
<http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/apdatgis/60614/PDF/default/apda
tgis.pdf>

o   Replaced by SAS Bridge to ESRI

·          SAS/SPECTRAVIEW
<http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/91pdf/sasdoc_91/spectra_ug_7
005.pdf>

o   It’s capabilities have been covered in both SAS/Insight and enhancements
to SAS Enterprise Guide

·          Enterprise Reporter (no documentation available any longer)

o   No longer needed with enhancements to SAS Enterprise Guide

Products added to EAS

·          SAS
<http://support.sas.com/rnd/datavisualization/BridgeForESRI/V2/>  Bridge to
ESRI