[Faccus] NetID Concept

Jason Testart jatestart at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Sep 30 21:11:48 EDT 2009

For some time now, there have been the occasional discussions around the
idea of sponsored guest access to the wireless network.  There has been
some recent discussion at CNAG on the topic, and Engineering Computing
came up with a "GuestUser" prototype.  This inspired me to document my
thoughts on how wireless authentication should work.  The concept I have
is a "NetID", and is documented as a specification here:

   https://strobe.uwaterloo.ca/~twiki/bin/view/ISTITSec/NetIDConcept

There are still some unanswered questions but I thought the timing is
right to share my ideas.  I have asked the security working group and
CNAG for feedback, but so far I have received none.  It must mean they
love it, right? ;-)

Before raising my idea again at a CNAG meeting, I would like to get some
feedback from this group to get a feel for the perceived impact on
helpdesks if such an idea were implemented.  My sense is that there
would be some short-term pain moving to a new system but in the long
term things would be better for everyone.

I would appreciate if you could take some time to read it over and share
your thoughts on the supportability of the NetID concept.

Thanks!

jt