[Faccus] Graduate Admissions - Document Management Active X Controls/Java Deployment

Derek Kirkland kirkland at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 29 15:40:30 EDT 2008

Hello

This is a follow-up on my earlier email with further information and some of
the email addresses in the mailing list corrected/enhanced.

For Engineering, I have modified the number of PC Windows workstations from
2700 to 975 (centrally and self managed).

PC Windows with Active X and IE Internet Explorer:
XP and Vista both work with the Active X package for the Active X install
and for accessing OnBase using the thin client. We need to clarify what
versions of IE are supported. I am not yet commenting on older PC versions
other than XP and Vista.

JRE Java Runtime Environment for Mac OS X
The required minimum version of the Java JRE runtime environment is 1.6.0,
which is the current version of JRE from Java for Mac OS X. The current
patch level for version 1.6 is 10, but any patch level of version 1.6 is
acceptable. A Mac user simply needs to run their Apple software update and
they will have an appropriate level of JRE. We need to clarify what version
of Firefox are supported.

The vendor, OnBase, is experimenting with Firefox / JRE for a Unix / Linux
environment. We are awaiting results so that we can determine what options
are available for Unix / Linux users accessing OnBase. I believe that the
appropriate JRE is available from java.com
(http://java.sun.com/javase/6/downloads/index.jsp).

PC Windows with Firefox and JRE works but there are minor alignment problems
with some column headings. Further analysis is ongoing.

The required Active X controls can be found through the following web site
(or can be requested from Walter McCutchan by email as noted previously).
This web site is currently under construction. Please do not access it until
the morning of October 30 to allow for some further refinement of Active X
instructions (especially for self managed workstation Active X installs).
Some sections for Java based workstation access are not yet ready. If you
have any issues with the web site, deployment instructions or with the
Active X file, please contact Walter McCutchan.

https://mynarski.ads.uwaterloo.ca/web_root/splash/default.htm

We have set up OnBase test accounts for each of the faculties. Instructions
are included in the attached word document. Each faculty has a limited named
OnBase test account (IST-AHS, IST-ARTS, IST-CFCS, IST-ENGINEERING,
IST-ENV-STUDIES, IST-MFCF, IST-OPTOMETRY, IST-SCIENCE) and all of them use
the same temporary password (OnBase), as noted in the document. This will
allow you to verify if a deployment in a particular environment is
successful, using access to a very limited part of OnBase with public
documents only. If you have any issues with the attached instructions for
the test, or with the test accounts, please contact Walli Fritz.

Please let me know what specific information you need to communicate with
your faculty users concerning the thin client software deployment.

At any point, please feel free to submit questions and concerns as we work
through this institutional implementation of the new Document Management
System.

...Derek.

Derek Kirkland, Project Manager
Information Systems - Student Administration, IST, University of Waterloo