[Faccus] PDF files causing printer service errors

Christine Roth cmroth at mfcf.math.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 6 13:44:55 EST 2007

Has anybody else noticed that some PDF files are causing their HP printers
to hang with a '49 Service Error'?  This has been happening more and more
to us over here in MFCF, and so far the problem seems to be only with PDF files
sent from the Nexus PCs.  For example, we obtained one such problem PDF file
from a user, and when sent from Nexus to our self-serve printers, it caused
an error state, but if the same file was sent from Acroread on a Unix server
to the same printers, it printed fine.  This makes me believe that it isn't a
problem with the printers, although I did update the firmware just in case,
but it didn't make any difference.

Anyway, I don't know what to do next so I thought I'd ask if anybody else is
having this problem.

Thanks very much;

Chris Roth
MFCF