[Faccus] requesting local restraint re initial CANHEIT registration

Roger Watt rwwatt at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 12 08:55:37 EDT 2007

This year's "CANadian Higher Education Information Technology" conference,
CANHEIT 2007, is May 27-30, co-hosted by University of Waterloo and
Wilfrid Laurier University, on the Laurier campus.

By tradition, there is no Ontario Universities Computing Conference (OUCC)
when CANHEIT is in Ontario.

Tomorrow, we hope to open http://canheit.uwaterloo.ca/ for registration.
The capacity of some of the venues requires us to impose a limit of 450
attendees. That is about a hundred more than the attendance last year in
Halifax. However, we are concerned that an early enthusiastic response
from local IT people (UW, Laurier, and Guelph in particular, and Ontario
in general) could fill a lot of those spaces to the disadvantage of the
universities in the other provinces.

Therefore, we haved asked the Ontario institutions to delay their
registrations until Friday March 30 (the registration fee is $350 until
May 1, then $450).

We seek your cooperation in this matter. Please share this email with
those your area who may be interested in attending. We will send you a
follow-up status report by March 28.

Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you at CANHEIT 2007.

--
Roger Watt
chair, CANHEIT 2007 Organizing Committee