[Faccus] Re: e-classroom problems

Andrea Chappell chappell at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 17 19:32:30 EDT 2006

Hello again,
First, many thanks to the efforts of Hon Tam, Tim Farrell, Jason Gorrie,
and Steve Bourque this afternoon. We may not have a solution yet but if
not, it was not from lack of effort. Here's some of the information from
this afternoon.

- The Nexus stations in the e-classrooms and in the IST Nexus "Nova" lab
were sometimes (not always) coming up with an incorrect DNS server list
after reboots. (So, reboots are NOT expected to fix the problem, as you
likely already know.)
- Jason watched the traffic at a station in the Nova lab and the two IST
DHCP servers (128.10 and 129.10, the latter the new one) both provide
the correct Nexus DNS server list in response to the DHCP request.
However, when we look at the system, it sometimes has the correct list,
and sometimes does not.
- Steve forced the Nexus stations in the lab to go to the old DHCP
server, 128.10 (unchanged last Wednesday). In the first tests, only the
correct list appeared, but subsequently we saw incorrect settings again.
- A lease release/renew seems to always come up with the correct list.

There was some new information from Arts at the end of the day. I won't
try to relay it until I understand it myself :-) However, after one more
change at the end of the day, in rebooting 5 different Nova stations a
number times, 10 reboots in total, each time the DNS list on the station
was correct. Unfortunately, 10 reboots do not a proof make!

Please let me know if you hear of continuing problems in the
e-classrooms, such as "Nexus unavailable" or profile loading problems in
the classrooms. These errors may be unrelated, as there had been some
problems before last Wednesday that may still be causing login and
profile loading problems. Please capture as much information as you can,
including:
- Room/workstation
- Error/problem/error message
- Day/time