[Faccus] recommendations on student PC purchases

snyder snyder at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 26 15:18:15 EDT 2006

Hi everyone, Glenn pointed out that we having a couple of missing ist web
pages that provided information to students on computer purchases. The files
are:

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/ew/student/minimum.htm

and

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/ew/student/owning.htm

Links to these pages are contained in pages maintained by Arts and Math:

http://aco.uwaterloo.ca/computing_at_home_faq.html

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/mfcf/undergrad/index.shtml

I went looking for pages containing recommendations on student purchases and
was not able to find any other faculty pages. I only found a reference in
the mypc web site (http://mypc.uwaterloo.ca/) to our ist Windows site

http://windows.uwaterloo.ca/Hardware/PCconfig.asp

which is primarily focused on purchases by the academic-support areas.

My questions:

1. is there a need for a page(s) providing information for students on
   computer purchases? Western has quite a good page
      http://www.uwo.ca/its/laptop/recommend.html
   But maintaining this type of information is very difficult.

2. is this something that should only be provided at the faculty level?

3. should we remove all recommendations for purchase and leave it to the
   Futureshop sales clerk?