[Env-avia-ug] FW: Testimonials

Suzanne Kearns skkearns at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 8 20:18:08 EDT 2018

Hello Aviation Students,

I hope that you are enjoying your summer!  I am writing to you with a request that is completely voluntary - please feel no obligation to participate.

I am trying to bring the pilot supply issue to the federal government, in an effort to shine a light on the financial challenges of paying for flight education in addition to tuition and other student expenses.  The attached letter outlines my position and has been distributed to operators (flight schools, regional airlines, etc.) across Canada - many of whom are writing letters of support.  The next step is to bring to MPs and provide more information on the issue.

What I am hoping you would consider is writing short testimonials (less than 150 words) that describe your story/experiences managing the financial challenges of flight training.  These stories can be anonymous or you can include your name - this is entirely your choice.  The important thing is that I want your voices to be heard.  If you don't want me to know who you are (to remain anonymous) you can either slip a paper under my office door (EV1 238) or ask a fellow student who you trust to send it on your behalf.

If you're able to send me a testimonial, please highlight your passion and enthusiasm for aviation!  Yet also highlight the challenges of the financial burden.

If you know of other students who had particularly challenging circumstances (multiple jobs, overnight/shift work, family circumstance change etc.) please encourage them to share their story - again, anonymously is fine.

I know it is short notice, but I would like to move this issue forward quickly, so ask that if you want to send me your stories please send them by Wednesday next week (the 13th).

With thanks,

Dr. Suzanne Kearns

Associate Professor, University of Waterloo
Office EV1 238, 200 University Avenue West,
Waterloo, Canada N2L3G1
Office: 519-888-4567 x32789   Mobile: 519-574-0630
suzanne.kearns at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:suzanne.kearns at uwaterloo.ca>    Skype ID: skearns4
New Textbook: Fundamentals of International Aviation<https://www.routledge.com/Fundamentals-of-International-Aviation/Kearns/p/book/9781138708976>
Scholar Website: https://uwaterloo.ca/scholar/skkearns