[Compstats] Seminar tomorrow @ 4:30pm MC2018B: Ohad Shamir

Pascal Poupart ppoupart at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 23 16:13:27 EDT 2010

Hi,

Tomorrow's talk will be given by Ohad Shamir who is visiting us from
Israel.  Note the unusual room and time: *MC2018B @ 4:30pm*.

cheers, Pascal
===============================

Title: When Quantity makes Quality: Learning with Information Constraints

Speaker: Ohad Shamir
Date: Wednesday March 24
Time: 4:30pm
Location: MC2018B

In standard learning models, it is assumed that the learner has a
complete and fully available training set at hand. However, in many
real-world applications, obtaining full information on the training
examples is expensive, illegal, or downright impossible. In this talk, I
will discuss some new methods to learn in such information-constrained
settings. These range from learning with only a few available features
from each example; through coping with extremely noisy access to the
data; to privacy-preserving learning. The underlying theme is that by
gathering less information on more examples, one can be provably
competitive with learning mechanisms which enjoy full access to the
data. Along the way, I'll describe some novel techniques which might be
of interest in their own right.

The talk is based on some recent joint works with Nicolò Cesa-Bianchi
and Shai Shalev-Shwartz.

--
Pascal Poupart
Email: ppoupart at cs.uwaterloo.ca