[BSA] CASSA's Youth Lleadership Retreat | Bangla Department | A Musical Night with Drishtipat Canada

BSA Waterloo bsa.uwaterloo at gmail.com
Fri May 28 11:06:01 EDT 2010

 Hey BSA,

CASSA and the City of Toronto will be hosting a day-long South Asian Youth
Leadership Retreat on the 29th of May. It is yet again another opportunity
for you to respond to CASSA's initiatives to reach out to the Bangladeshi
youth. Check out details given at the end of the mail. For all you music
lovers, also find below the information on Drishtipat's highly anticipated
musical program, *A MUSICAL NIGHT WITH DRISHTIPAT. *

Additionally, we would like to bring to your attention that our
*"**MATRIBHASHA"
NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT*.

The Bengali Department at the University of Toronto, St. George Campus is at
jeopardy. Due to a lack of enrolment in the courses SAS211Y1 and SAS311Y1,
the University has been pressuring the department to close these classes
down. Unfortunately, SAS211Y1 - Intro to Bengali, has already been cancelled
for the coming school year and SAS311H1 - Reading from Bengali Literature,
is under probation. The department needs your support! If there is not a
high enrolment rate for SAS311H1 this coming fall, then that course will be
cancelled as well.

There are approximately 6,900 languages spoken around the world and we
should be proud that our language is among the few that are being taught at
one of the best universities in the world. This department has been a credit
to our community for the last few years and now it is up to us to keep it
alive.

We encourage those of you that are still enrolled in an undergraduate
program at U of T to enrol in this course this coming fall. Please visit the
Arts and Science website for more administrative information:
http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/timetable/winter/sas.html.

Also, we would like to add that those students who enrol in the course and
is able to complete it with a mark above 50% are eligible to apply for a
$1000 bursary. Information about this bursary will be distributed in-class
by the instructor.

So please consider signing up for this course and give back to your
community. Your time is awarded with a course credit, knowledge and
potentially a scholarship: its a win-win situation for everyone!

*
*
*CASSA LEADERSHIP RETREAT*

If you identify yourself as a youth of South Asian descent, age between
16-25, and are interested in developing leadership skills, we are pleased to
invite you to attend our Youth Leadership Retreat coming up on Saturday, 29
May 2010 at Cedarbrook Community Centre, 91 Eastpark Blvd, Toronto, ON  M1H
1C6. This retreat will be jointly hosted by Council of Agencies Serving
South Asians (CASSA) and the City of Toronto, Access and Diversity Unit of
Parks, Forestry & Recreation Division.

We will be offering some exciting and informative workshops on how to build
up your leadership skills and bring positive changes in your communities.
Topics include: identifying your heritage and being proud of your ethnicity,
mentoring and team building, knowing your legal & civic rights etc. There
will also be screening of a documentary titled “The Story of Human Rights”
and amazing performances.

Registration is free! However, since we have limited spots, we suggest you
to register as soon as possible. Please check the attached flyer,
registration form, tentative agenda, and www.cassa.on.ca for more
information. Attendees will receive a certificate of participation. Lunch
and refreshments will be provided.

We thank you in advance for your consideration of our initiative. For
registration and queries, please contact nafisa.tanjeem at cassa.on.ca or
416-932-1359X11.

We eagerly look forward to your participation.

Sincerely

Nafisa Tanjeem

Events Coordinator

Council of Agencies Serving South Asians (CASSA)

2401 Eglinton Ave. E., Suite 212

Toronto, ON M1K 2N8, Canada

Tel: (416) 932-1359, Ex. 11

Fax: (416) 932-9305

Email: *nafisa.tanjeem at cassa.on.ca*

Website: *www.cassa.on.ca*

*
*

*A MUSICAL NIGHT WITH DRISHTIPAT*

Drishtipat is back once again, armed with a new cause and with an exciting
line-up of talented local artists that is bound to make you say Encore!!!!

*Event Details*

When – Saturday, June 5th @ 7:30pm
How much – Only $12 bux!!!!
Where – OISE Theatre, U of t St. George Campus, 252 Bloor St. W.

Performance Line-up

Karma - a fusion band who’s members are two sisters, Hema & Emma Helal, is
collaborating with highly talented musicians - Shami Sattar on Keyboards &
Flutes, Rajeeb on Percussion, Paul Haleem on Bass & Auvik Rahman on guitar
with Hema & Emma on vocals. Their colorful ensemble will start with modern
Bangla songs presented in a fusion style, followed by a set of evergreen
Western numbers that you can clap & hum with!

Peace Rocks - Vocal/Guitar: Tanvir, Masrur. Bass: Safwan, Drums: Mikaile.
Peace Rocks is a band consisting of Toronto locals. They came together with
an intention to support Bangladesh - in whatever way possible. It gives them
Peace and fullfillment to help out those in need back home, with the gift of
music.

Daniel – is classically trained crooner with charismatic stage presence,
will be performing many of today’s popular hits.

Prachir - Ribo - Guitars and vocals Auvik - Guitars Shahriar - Bass Adib -
Drums Fahim - lead Vocals

This is going to be one awesome night of great music. Lets ROCK for a
Cause!!!!

For tickets and info call:
Shovon – 416 833 5412

Tickets are also available online at www.drishtipat.ca

*A little about Drishtipat*

Drishtipat is a non-profit, volunteer-based organization, consisting mainly
of expatriate Bangladeshis. We are the Canadian chapter of Drishtipat. Our
goal is to promote and protect the basic human rights of the people of
Bangladesh. Our aim is not simply to help those who are less fortunate, but
to empower the nation of Bangladeshis as a whole towards becoming future
leaders. This is why we chose Green Disabled Foundation to raise awareness
of their noble initiative to empower the visually impaired.
visit www.drishtipat.org/ for more info.

What is GDF?

Green Disable Foundation (GDF) is a small, not-for profit organization,
chaired by Dr. Mustafa Shahzaman Chowdhury, which works with disabled
children and adults in Sylhet, Bangladesh. GDF feeds, clothes, shelters and
schools orphan children who are visually impaired. The children, similar to
other children in the region, sing, play sports, and participate in
religious studies. The only difference is that they read Braille. Through
our joint effort we want to raise a total of $7000 CAD in order to purchase
a Braille Printer and the special paper for GDF. Visit
www.gdfbangladesh.orgfor more info.

*
*

--