[Bridges] POETRY READING: at the Joint Mathematics Meetings, Boston, January 4-7, 2012

Bridges conference announcements bridges at lists.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Sep 22 21:57:16 EDT 2011

Friday, January 6, 2012, 5:00pm-7:00pm
MAA Special Presentation: Poetry Reading
All mathematical poets and those interested in mathematical poetry are invited.
Room 302, Hynes

Organizers:
 * JoAnne Growney, Silver Spring, Maryland
 * Mark Huber, Claremont McKenna College
 * Gizem Karaali, Pomona College

Call for Submissions:

     The Journal of Humanistic Mathematics (http://scholarship.claremont.edu/jhm/) will host a reading of poetry-with-mathematics on Friday January 6, 5-7 PM in Boston’s Hynes Convention Center at the annual Joint Mathematics Meetings (http://jointmathematicsmeetings.org/jmm).  Reading organizers include JHM editors, Gizem Karaali (http://pages.pomona.edu/~gk014747/ ) and Mark Huber (http://www.cmc.edu/pages/faculty/MHuber/), and poetry-math blogger, JoAnne Growney (http://poetrywithmathematics.blogspot.com ). Although the reading is open to all, without pre-selected readers, we will prepare a written program of poets who submit their work by our December 1 deadline. Both mathematician-poets and others who use mathematics in their poems are invited to submit.

    Send (prior to December 1, 2011) via e-mail, to Gizem Karaali (Gizem dot Karaali at pomona dot edu) up to 3 poems that involve mathematics (in content or structure, or both) -- no more than 3 pages -- and a 25 word bio. From these submissions, a written program of titles and bios will be prepared. We anticipate about 5 minutes available for each reader but a large (or small) number of submissions may temper this somewhat. After scheduled readers have completed their presentations, there will be an Open Reading -- and interested persons present (in Room 302 of Boston’s Hynes Convention Center) will be invited to read.

For more information, please contact JoAnne Growney:

JoAnne Growney - Silver Spring, MD; more information at http://joannegrowney.com