[Bridges] Bridges 2009 reminder: regular papers program

Bridges conference announcements bridges at lists.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 19 16:00:02 EST 2009

Renaissance Banff II
Bridges Banff
Mathematics, Music, Art, Architecture, Culture
http://bridgesmathart.org/

The Bridges Organization would like to take this opportunity to remind
you that the submission deadline for the Bridges 2009 regular papers
program is coming up on February 1st (about two weeks away).  We are
looking forward to another exciting and stimulating conference this
year, made all the more exciting by contributed papers and presentations
by the Bridges community.  We look forward to receiving your submitted
papers, and to seeing you in Banff, Alberta, Canada in July.

The web page for the 2009 conference can be found here:

     http://bridgesmathart.org/bridges-2009/

A call for papers, together with formatting instructions and information
on the online submission system EasyChair, is here:

     http://bridgesmathart.org/bridges-2009/2009-call-for-papers/

We are also pleased to be able to offer a partial list of this year's
invited speakers (a full list will be published later):

     Erik Demaine (MIT), International Francqui Chair of Belgium,
     MacArthur Fellow, Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow.  Erik
     studies computational aspects of geometric operations such as
     paper folding and cutting.

     Robert J. Lang, One of the world's leading origami masters, with
     over 500 designs catalogued and diagrammed.  In addition to
     creating intricate origami paper sculptures, Dr. Lang applies his
     knowledge of folding to solve complex problems in science and
     engineering.

     Carlo H. Sequin (U.C. Berkeley), Computer Scientist and Virtual
     Sculptor, IEEE Fellow,  Member of the Swiss Academy of Engineering
     Sciences.  Carlo studies the generation and construction of artistic
     forms by computer algorithms.

     Dmitri Tymoczko (Princeton University), composer and music
     theorist.  His article "The Geometry of Musical Chords" was the
     first music theory article ever published by Science.

As always, we welcome your questions and comments.  You can reach us at
bridges at bridgesmathart.org.  We hope to see you this summer!

Sincerely,
The Bridges Organization