[quantum-info] Postdoctoral Fellowships in Canada - Foundations of Quantum Computing and Cryptography

Anne Broadbent abroadbe at uottawa.ca
Thu Sep 29 23:20:49 EDT 2022

Call for Postdoctoral Fellows

in the Foundations of Quantum Computing & Cryptography

Locations of Tenure:

  *   Simon Fraser University (SFU), Department of Mathematics
  *   University of Ottawa (uOttawa), Department of Mathematics and Statistics

Our team is an interdisciplinary and international consortium that seeks to make foundational advances in the understanding and development of quantum computing. Our view is that the future success of quantum computing critically depends on advances at the most fundamental level, and that large-scale investments in quantum implementations will only pay off if they can draw on additional foundational insights and ideas. While several powerful quantum algorithms are known, the basic techniques they employ are few and far between. Largely, it still remains to be discovered how to systematically harness the quantum for computation.

As part of the consortium, we seek to fill two (2) postdoctoral positions.

  *   SFU (Supervised by Prof. Nadish de Silva<https://nadi.sh>): The selected candidate will work on foundational questions of quantum computation such as: precisely how, and for which class of problems, is quantum advantage achieved?  The position is open to a researcher in quantum computation with strong mathematical abilities or to a mathematical researcher interested in quantum computation.
  *   uOttawa (Supervised by Prof. Anne Broadbent<https://mysite.science.uottawa.ca/abroadbe/>: The selected candidate will work on the development of quantum cryptography protocols, techniques, definitions and proofs, with a focus on links with techniques from classical simulation of quantum systems.

Fellows will benefit from integration into a team of Canada-wide and international scientists. The positions offer a highly competitive salary and travel budget. We strive to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion in all our activities.

Target start date: January 1, 2023 or earlier

Duration: 3 years, renewable yearly

Applications are considered on a continuous basis until the position is filled

Please see the following link for further information and instructions for applications.

https://www.sfu.ca/~ndesilva/postdoc/