[quantum-info] Graduate openings University of Calgary

Carlo Maria Scandolo carlomaria.scandolo at ucalgary.ca
Sat Dec 17 15:16:30 EST 2022

Dear all,
apologies for cross-posting. Gilad Gour and I are looking for
outstanding candidates for graduate positions (MSc and PhD level) in our
quantum information group at the Department of Mathematics & Statistics
at the University of Calgary, Canada. Our group works within the
Institute for Quantum Science and Technologies, directed by Barry
Sanders, which is one of the top institutes for quantum information in
Canada.
Our research interests are in theoretical aspects of quantum
information, the quantification of quantum resources (such as
entanglement), quantum thermodynamics, quantum foundations and general
probabilistic theories.
You can read about some of my research achievements here (magazine
interviews):
https://www.quantamagazine.org/physicists-trace-the-rise-in-entropy-to-quantum-information-20220526/
https://www.livescience.com/imaginary-numbers-real-quantum.html
Graduate positions are normally funded through teaching assistantship;
however, more competitive scholarships are also available. Applications
for math programs are preferred, however we can also offer supervision
for other programs. More information here:
Math MSc
https://grad.ucalgary.ca/future-students/explore-programs/math-and-statistics-msc-thesis
Math PhD
https://grad.ucalgary.ca/future-students/explore-programs/math-and-statistics-phd
The deadline for applications is *15 January 2023*.
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation
university: a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces
change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's
most enterprising city, the university is recognized as one of Canada’s
top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and
teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and
leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery,
creativity and innovation across all disciplines.
Finally, a few words on the city: Calgary has been on the top list of
the most livable cities in the world for years, and it is the most
livable city in North America. It boasts more days of sunshine per year
than any other major Canadian city. Calgary is also less than an hour's
drive from the majestic Rocky Mountains!

Best regards,

Carlo Maria Scandolo

--
Carlo Maria Scandolo, DPhil
Assistant professor of mathematical physics (tenure-track)