[quantum-info] FW: MIT CTP Junior Faculty Search

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Sep 16 17:09:04 EDT 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Thaler <jthaler at mit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2019 9:28 AM
To: Jesse Thaler <jthaler at mit.edu>
Cc: Aram Harrow <aram at mit.edu>
Subject: MIT CTP Junior Faculty Search

Dear Colleague,

We in the Center for Theoretical Physics at MIT are conducting a junior
faculty (tenure track) search this year in all areas of our activities.
We specifically encourage applicants working in quantum computing and
quantum information, including high-energy, nuclear, condensed-matter, and
atomic-molecular-and-optical physicists whose interests have a strong
overlap with QI.  We also welcome candidates who would strengthen
connections between physics and computer science.  Beyond QI, this search
covers areas such as cosmology, dark matter, and astroparticle physics;
particle theory in and beyond the standard model; quantum field theory and
amplitudes; QCD including strongly coupled matter; and string theory,
gravity, holography, and mathematical physics.

I am writing to you to inform you about our search, and to ask for your
assistance in identifying promising candidates.  If you know of a
promising junior theorist whom you think we should consider, we would
appreciate it greatly if you could spend a few minutes to inform them of
our search and encourage them to apply.  Please also let me know directly
of candidates whom you think are highly qualified.

The deadline for applications is November 1, 2019, and we intend to carry
out any interviews in February 2020.

We are particularly interested in making sure that highly qualified women
and underrepresented minority candidates are aware of our search and
apply.  If you are aware of candidates in these categories, we would
appreciate it if you could make an extra effort to inform these candidates
of the position and to let us know who they are.  We would also appreciate
you informing us of women and/or minority physicists whom you think might
emerge as potential candidates in the near future.

Further information about the position and application procedures is
available at:

https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/14309

(There is a separate QI-focused ad at
https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/14310 but it is part of the same
search.)

Thank you very much for your time and for any assistance you may be able
to provide.

Sincerely,
Jesse Thaler

------