[quantum-info] Fwd: Invitation to Apply for Aspen Winter Conference on Quantum Algorithms

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Wed Dec 20 17:59:09 EST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Krysta Svore <ksvore at microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:25 PM
Subject: Invitation to Apply for Aspen Winter Conference on Quantum Algorithms
To: Krysta Svore <ksvore at microsoft.com>
Cc: alpha omega <aram at mit.edu>, Stephanie Wehner - EWI
<S.D.C.Wehner at tudelft.nl>, Matthias Troyer <mtroyer at microsoft.com>

Dear Quantum Algorithms Enthusiasts,

(Apologies if you have already received this email.)

We would like to invite you to apply for the Aspen Winter Conference
on Advances in Quantum Algorithms and Computation, to be held March 11
- 17, 2018 in Aspen, CO.  Application details are found at the bottom
of this email.  Please apply prior to December 31, 2017.

This conference follows two previous successful conferences in 2014
and 2016 which asked: if we had a quantum computer, what would we do
with it? Then, quantum computers were still hypothetical devices that
would use the quantum mechanical properties of superposition and
entanglement to solve problems that are likely to be forever out of
reach of classical computers. Now, there is a major worldwide effort
to build scalable quantum computers to realize crucial, world-changing
speedups over classical computers. Even larger quantum computers are
being placed online and by 2018, we expect to see the first quantum
computers actually outperforming the runtime of classical computers
for certain problems. We bring together experts from diverse research
avenues to discuss progress in quantum algorithms, identify killer
applications of quantum computers, and discuss key challenges in the
development of quantum algorithms for existing small- and near-term
medium-scale quantum devices. The conference will highlight topics at
the forefront of quantum computing, including:

Adiabatic Quantum Optimization and Quantum Annealing
Quantum Algorithms in the Quantum Circuit Model
Quantum Query Models
Quantum Simulation of Physical Systems
Classical Methods for Simulation of Quantum Algorithms
Quantum Fault Tolerance and Error Correction
Quantum Hardware Advances
Quantum Circuit Optimization
Quantum Network Protocols

As the Aspen Center does not provide travel support, we unfortunately
cannot promise travel or accommodation assistance.  A special
conference rate will be arranged with local hotels.  The conference
will consist of invited talks and poster submissions.   Confirmed
invited speakers include:

Anupam Prakash

Alexandre Blais

Aleksandr Kubica

Andras Gilyen

Ashley Montanaro

David Poulin

Srinivasan Arunachalam

Elizabeth Crosson

Ken Brown

Hope to see you in Aspen!

With best wishes,

Krysta Svore, Microsoft Research

Aram Harrow, MIT

Matthias Troyer, Microsoft Research and ETH Zurich

Stephanie Wehner, QuTech, TUDelft

Please apply via the Aspen Center website.  The application deadline
is December 31, 2017. Please complete your application at
http://www.aspenphys.org/physicists/winter/index.html. It will only
take a few minutes.  There is no conference fee.

Instructions for application:

1. Click "Winter Application".

2. Log in or create new account.

3. When prompted, click "Apply" button next to "Advances in Quantum
Algorithms and Computation" listing.

4. Fill in required forms and submit.