[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar Wed May 27: Robin Blume-Kohout

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Fri May 22 12:18:15 EDT 2015

Please join us on Wednesday, May 27 at 4pm in the Time room for a quantum
information seminar by Robin Blume-Kohout.

Title #1:  How distinguishable are two quantum processes?
Title #2:  What is the error rate of a quantum gate?

Abstract:  I will try to convince you that the two titles of this talk are,
in fact, synonymous -- that the "error rate" and "distinguishability of
quantum processes" are the same thing.  Whether or not I succeed, I will go
on to discuss (1) the various ways that this has been quantified, (2) the
state of the art in doing so, and (3) why I'm not (and you shouldn't be!)
satisfied.  Having spent 45 minutes just establishing what the "right"
problem is, I will then propose to solve it by sandwiching
"distinguishability" between "distillable distinguishability" and
"distinguishability of formation".  To demonstrate the utility of this
approach, I'll prove that the diamond norm is not always the right measure
of distinguishability (or even close to it!).  I will then do a 180-degree
turn and argue that for most of the cases that we care about, the diamond
norm is a good measure of distinguishability, and
finally conclude with another 180-degree turn in which I argue that maybe
it's not.