[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar on Wed Jan 15: Eduardo Martín-Martínez

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Tue Jan 14 15:54:20 EST 2014

Please join us on Wednesday, January 15 at 4pm in the Time room for a
quantum information seminar by Eduardo Martín-Martínez.

Title: *Entanglement farming: Harnessing the properties of fixed points in
quantum evolution*
Speaker: *Eduardo Martín-Martínez* (IQC)

Abstract: We show that in certain generic circumstances the state of light
of an optical cavity traversed by beams of atoms is naturally driven towards
a non-thermal metastable state. This state can be such that successive
pairs of unentangled particles sent through the cavity will reliably emerge
significantly entangled thus providing a renewable source of quantum
entanglement. Significant for possible experimental realizations is the
fact that this entangling fixed point state of the cavity can be reached
largely independently of the initial state in which the cavity was
prepared. Our results suggest that reliable entanglement farming on the
basis of such a fixed point state should be possible also in various other
experimental settings, namely with the to-be-entangled particles replaced
by arbitrary qudits and with the cavity replaced by a suitable reservoir
system.