[quantum-info] PIQuDos seminar on Wed Dec 18: David Gosset

Gus Gutoski ggutoski at perimeterinstitute.ca
Thu Dec 12 15:52:58 EST 2013

Please join us on Wednesday, December 18 at 4pm in the Time room for a
quantum information seminar by David Gosset.

Title: *The Bose-Hubbard model is QMA-complete*
Speaker: *David Gosset* (IQC)

Abstract:  The Bose-Hubbard model is a system of interacting bosons that
live on the vertices of a graph. The particles can move between adjacent
vertices and experience a repulsive on-site interaction. The Hamiltonian is
determined by a choice of graph that specifies the geometry in which the
particles move and interact. We prove that approximating the ground energy
of the Bose-Hubbard model on a graph at fixed particle number is
QMA-complete. In our QMA-hardness proof, we encode the history of an
n-qubit computation in the subspace with at most one particle per site
(i.e., hard-core bosons). This feature, along with the well-known mapping
between hard-core bosons and spin systems, lets us prove a related result
for a class of 2-local Hamiltonians defined by graphs that generalizes the
XY model. By avoiding the use of perturbation theory in our analysis, we
circumvent the need to multiply terms in the Hamiltonian by large
coefficients. This is joint work with Andrew Childs and Zak Webb.