[quantum-info] Q+ Hangout, Tuesday 23/10 9am , Speaker: Markus Müller (Perimeter Institute)

Aharon Brodutch cap.fwiffo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:44:49 EDT 2012

Hi all
  We are joining the Q+ Hangout on Tuesday 23/10 at 9am in RAC1 2004.

---
Speaker: Markus Müller (Perimeter Institute)
Title: Three-dimensionality of space and the quantum bit: an
information-theoretic approach

Absract: It is sometimes pointed out as a curiosity that the state
space of quantum two-level systems, i.e. the qubit, and actual
physical space are both three-dimensional and Euclidean. In this talk,
I report on joint work with Lluis Masanes, where we attempt an
information-theoretic analysis of this relationship, by proving a
particular mathematical result: suppose that physics takes place in d
spatial dimensions, and that some events happen probabilistically (not
assuming quantum theory in any way). Furthermore, suppose there are
systems that behave in some sense as "units of direction information",
interacting via some continuous reversible time evolution. We prove
that this uniquely determines spatial dimension d=3 and quantum theory
on two qubits. Hence, abstractly postulating the "nice" behavior of a
Stern-Gerlach device in information-theoretic terms determines already
some important aspects of physics as we know it.
----

Cheers
  Aharon