[quantum-info] FW: seeking postdoc or PhD for research on topological codes

Daniel Gottesman dgottesman at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Mar 26 10:43:09 EDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara Terhal [mailto:bterhal at gmail.com]
Sent: March 26, 2012 7:44 AM
To: Daniel Gottesman
Subject: seeking postdoc or PhD for research on topological codes

Hi Daniel,

as I mentioned we are looking for a PhD student or postdoc who is
interested in working on how to implement quantum error correction (in
particular topological error correction) in superconducting qubit
architectures taking into account physical constraints, parameters and
timescales of these devices. Below is the description which we also
have on our IQI website,
http://www.physik.rwth-aachen.de/institute/institut-fuer-quanteninformatio
n/
under Job Openings. It may be hard to get someone who is knowledgeable
about both error correction and superconducting qubits, but a talented
someone who is eager to learn the physics (or the EC) would also be
great. Can you distribute this for master students in the PI program
or among PhD students who fit the bill? Thanks!

Barbara

--------------------------

PhD/Postdoc Quantum Error Correction For Superconducting Qubits

(with Profs. Terhal and DiVincenzo)

The Institute for Quantum Information at the RWTH Aachen is looking
for a PhD candidate and/or postdoc who will work on developing code
architectures for superconducting qubits. The goal of this project is
to optimize known ideas of such architectures to the specific details
and constraints of the experimental devices in terms of coupling of
qubits, timescales, qubit measurement, and addressing. Exciting recent
progress at IBM Research opens up new work to be done on realistic,
scalable designs, and close collaboration with the IBM group is
anticipated. It is important for the candidate to be familiar with
quantum error correction and the physics of Josephson junction qubits.
Please send your CV to Helene Barton hbarton(at)physik.rwth-aachen.de
and refer to the description of this position.