[quantum-info] Today's PIQuDos

Markus Mueller mmueller at perimeterinstitute.ca
Mon Dec 10 12:38:24 EST 2012

Hi all,

please join us today at 4 pm in the Time Room for a PIQuDos seminar by
Kavan Modi.

Title: *Operational approach to open dynamics in the presence of initial
correlations*
Speaker: *Kavan Modi* (University of Oxford)

Abstract:
Quantum process tomography is the experimental procedure to determine
the action of general transformations on quantum states.
When an external environment is interacting with the system these
transformations are called open. We show that if the state of the
system and the environment is correlated, at the beginning of the
experiment, then the standard quantum process tomography procedure
fails. It produces results that are nonlinear and non-positive (i.e.,
the dynamical map is not completely positive) . These undesirable
behaviours are functions of the preparation procedure employed to
initialise the system. We offer a full resolution to these difficulties
by operationally deriving a procedure for process tomography.
Surprisingly, there are additional benefits that come along with this
procedure, namely quantifying the kickbacks due to the initial correlations.

Date: Monday, Dec 10, 2012 - 4:00 pm
Location: Time Room

Best,
Markus