[quantum-info] informal talks today

Marco Piani marcopiani at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 08:47:05 EST 2010

IQC lunch seminar, RAC 2009, December 2 (today), noon

We have two guests speaking:

- Jacob Biamonte, Oxford University

"Categorical Tensor Network States"

I plan to present results from a study in the use of the mathematics
of category theory in the description of quantum states by tensor
networks. This approach enables the development of a categorical
framework allowing a solution to the quantum decomposition problem.
Specifically, given an n-body quantum state S, we found a general
method to factor S into a tensor network. Moreover, this decomposition
of S uses building blocks defined mathematically in terms of purely
diagrammatic laws. We used the solution to expose a previously unknown
and large class of quantum states which we prove to be sampled
efficiently and exactly. This general framework of categorical tensor
network states, where a combination of generic and algebraically
defined tensors appear, enhances the theory of tensor network states.
Part's of my talk will represent joint work with Stephen R. Clark
(CQT, Kebble College, Oxford) and Dieter Jaksch (Oxford, Kebble
College, CQT).

- Xie Chen, MIT

TBA