[FemPhys] June Update, Part I: Many events next week, and volunteer for FemPhys

FemPhys UW femphys at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 23:12:52 EDT 2017

Hi all,

We have a busy and exciting start to June! Next week is packed with events
- there is a volunteer training session on Monday afternoon, a meet-up for
disabled scientists on Wednesday, and a women in STEM BBQ for graduate
students and postdocs on Thursday. Wow! Event details are below:

   - *Room Volunteer Training:* "If putting up posters around campus or
   hanging out in the FemPhys room sound like your cup of tea, come to this
   training to find out more! This short and sweet training will prepare you
   to be an effective room and/or poster volunteer and give you an opportunity
   to sign up for tasks. Many hands make light labor - all willing volunteers
   are welcome!"
      - *Monday, June 12*
      - 4-4:30pm
      - Phys 104 (FemPhys Room!)

   - *Disabled Scientist Meet-Up:* "We know we exist. Let's get to know
   each other, too. Everyone is welcome. This space is wheelchair accessible
   and aims to be low-scent. Single stall and large stall bathrooms are
   available near the room. The event structure will include casually
   facilitated discussion and social interaction. The facilitators include
   autistic and anxious trans and nonbinary individuals. This event is
   co-sponsored with UWaterloo's Disability Advocacy and Community Alliance
   (DACA)"
      - *Wednesday, June 14*
      - 3:30-4:30 pm
      - QNC 1507

   - *Women in STEM Grad BBQ:* "Come enjoy a barbeque and meet fellow grad
   students and post docs in STEM fields! There will be lightly structured
   conversation and games. Bring your friends, some snacks, and any picnic
   games to share! Free burgers and veggie burgers will be provided!"
      - *Thursday, June 15*
      - 4-8 pm
      - Waterloo Park

We also are looking for volunteers - if you love FemPhys, and want to be
casually involved, read below for more details!

*Volunteering Details*:
Interested in helping out FemPhys, but don't have much time to spare? There
are still ways to get involved while keeping the time commitment low-key!
Currently, we would love some help *putting up posters* for our events -
this would involve walking around campus, taping up posters, and can be
loads of fun when done with friends. We are also actively looking for *room
volunteers* - friendly folks to hang out in the FemPhys room and help us
create a safe and welcoming space for the UW community. Both of these roles
would be a few hours (or less) per week. If you would like to volunteer but
cannot make it to the training, email femphys at gmail.com.

Take care and best wishes,
The FemPhys Family