[Female-math-faculty] Women in Math Day, Picture a Scientist post-movie discussion

Ghazal Geshnizjani ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 29 15:19:34 EDT 2021

The International Committee for Women in Mathematics has arranged for a
viewing of the Picture a Scientist movie.

PICTURE A SCIENTIST chronicles the groundswell of researchers who are
writing a new chapter for women scientists. Biologist Nancy Hopkins,
chemist Raychelle Burks, and geologist Jane Willenbring lead viewers on a
journey deep into their own experiences in the sciences, ranging from
brutal harassment to years of subtle slights. Along the way, from cramped
laboratories to spectacular field stations, we encounter scientific
luminaries - including social scientists, neuroscientists, and
psychologists - who provide new perspectives on how to make science itself
more diverse, equitable, and open to all.

To view the movie, you will need to register *by May 6*, for a link that
will enable one viewing between May 12-14.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdQGXolciincnhw9D0bD4fj16444HxtCnHyVcRrjO4deF7uWA/viewform

WiCS and WiM will hold a post-movie on Thursday May 13, 9:00pm-10:30pm ET
(the time has been set to try to be accessible to graduate students and
post docs who may be around).

To register for the post-movie discussion, register here and we’ll send a
Zoom link to registrants
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/picture-a-scientist-post-movie-discussion-tickets-152909589699

I hope to see you there!

-----------------------------
Ghazal Geshnizjani
Research Associate Professor
Women in Math Committee Chair <https://uwaterloo.ca/women-in-mathematics/>
Department of Applied Mathematics
<https://uwaterloo.ca/applied-mathematics/>
Waterloo Centre for Astrophysics <https://uwaterloo.ca/astrophysics-centre/>

University of Waterloo, Office: MC 6449   Email: ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Phone: 519 888 4567 X 39146
Affiliate and PSI Fellow,  Perimeter Institute For Theoretical Physics
<http://pitp.ca/>