[Female-math-faculty] 2020 Virtual Women in Math Celebration, May 12, 2020

Ghazal Geshnizjani ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Sun May 3 09:31:00 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,
I hope you are all doing well and while practicing physical distancing,
still managing to stay socially connected.
I have some exciting news to share with you. I would like to invite you all
to the 2020 Virtual Women in Math Celebration
<https://uwaterloo.ca/women-in-mathematics/events/2020-virtual-women-math-celebration>
 *on May 12, 2020* - the second International Women in Mathematics Day.

May 12th marks the birthdate of the late female mathematician, and my old
friend, Maryam Mirzakhani the first woman to be awarded the Fields Medal
for her outstanding contributions to the dynamics and geometry of Riemann
surfaces and their moduli spaces. She died tragically from cancer in 2017
at the early age of 40.

*2020 Virtual Women in Math Celebration*
TUESDAY, MAY 12, 2020 — 7:30 AM TO 7:00 PM EDT

Our event will be a whole day of celebrating the launch of Women’s Impact
Network, featuring a lineup of inspirational speakers, stimulating
discussions and featuring a documentary on life and work of Maryam
Mirzakhani.

I will also be moderating a* panel discussion at 5:30pm EDT*, hosting three
amazing women discussing how various mathematical branches are critical in
the on-going effort to manage COVID-19 crisis.

*Our panelists are:*

*Patricia Gauthier,* Senior Manager at Magellan Consulting - GDPR
Consultancy, External DPO Services, Cybersecurity, IT Security, Safety

*Debbie Leung,* University Research Chair at the Institute for Quantum
Computing & Department of Combinatorics and Optimization; University of
Waterloo. Associate Faculty member at Perimeter Institute

*Xi He,* Assistant Professor, Cheriton School of Computer Science,
University of Waterloo, with ongoing research on Covid-19 and research
on privacy and security for big-data management and analysis
Just to give you some preview: We plan to discuss topics including secure
remote work environments, balancing privacy of information and healthcare
priorities, modeling the pandemic, navigating the overwhelming amount
of information
in the media during this crisis, and more.

Please refer to this page WiM celebration, May 12, 2020
<https://uwaterloo.ca/women-in-mathematics/events/2020-virtual-women-math-celebration>
 for registration and more information.
<https://uwaterloo.ca/women-in-mathematics/events/2020-virtual-women-math-celebration>

best wishes and stay safe,
----------------------------
Ghazal Geshnizjani
Research Associate Professor
Women in Math Committee Chair <https://uwaterloo.ca/women-in-mathematics/>
Department of Applied Mathematics
<https://uwaterloo.ca/applied-mathematics/>
Waterloo Centre for Astrophysics <https://uwaterloo.ca/astrophysics-centre/>

University of Waterloo, Office: MC 6449   Email: ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Phone: 519 888 4567 X 39146

Affiliate and PSI Fellow,  Perimeter Institute For Theoretical Physics
<http://pitp.ca/>