[Female-math-faculty] speed mentoring event for International women's day

Ghazal Geshnizjani ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 12 09:55:55 EST 2020

Dear colleagues,

Given the success and the high turnout of our speed mentoring event for
International Women's Day last year, we are planning another one for this
March.
This year we are co-organizing this event with WiCS and HeforShe and the
event is scheduled for 9th of Match from 11:30am to ~1:30pm including lunch.
If you are not familiar with speed mentoring, it's basically a series of
short, focused conversations about specific questions. Mentors will meet
with a limited number of mentees in 10 to15 minute time slots each.
When directed, mentees will proceed to their mentor’s table. At the start
and end of each Speed Mentoring round, a bell will ring or an announcement
is made. Mentees will then proceed to the next mentor table.

Our mentors will include women with established careers in academia as well
as women working outside academia. I am sending you this invitation since
as female academics, you could play a vital role in mentoring math students
navigating their way through academic life. There is also no longtime
commitment for participating in future events and we are flexible if you
can not stay for the whole two hours and prefer to stay only for the first
or the second half.

Please let me know if you are interested to participate as a mentor. Also
feel free to ask any questions you may have. We very much look forward to
hearing back from you!

best wishes,
-----------------------------
Ghazal Geshnizjani
Research Associate Professor
Women in Math Committee Chair <https://uwaterloo.ca/women-in-mathematics/>
Department of Applied Mathematics
<https://uwaterloo.ca/applied-mathematics/>
Waterloo Centre for Astrophysics <https://uwaterloo.ca/astrophysics-centre/>

University of Waterloo, Office: MC 6449   Email: ggeshniz at uwaterloo.ca
Phone: 519 888 4567 X 39146

Affiliate and PSI Fellow,  Perimeter Institute For Theoretical Physics
<http://pitp.ca/>