[Cs-female-staff] Women in CS Lunch with Distinguished Lecturer Renée Miller

Anna Lubiw alubiw at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 28 09:14:20 EST 2013

Hello everyone:

This is a reminder of the Women in CS lunch this week with Renée Miller from the University of Toronto.  Prof. Miller is visiting our school to give a talk on databases (see info below).   The lunch is a chance to meet up with other women in CS and join in a group discussion with Renée.  Possible topics: her research, her experiences (e.g. undergrad at MIT), the Ontario Celebration for Women in Computer Science (which she ran in 2011).   Also, there will be free food!

Please come!  Bring a friend!

DATE: Wednesday January 30, 2013
TIME: 12:00 noon - 1:30
ROOM: MC 5136  NOTE the room change!

Biography:
Renée J. Miller received BS degrees in Mathematics and in Cognitive Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She received her MS and PhD degrees in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin in Madison, WI. She received the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), the highest honor bestowed by the United States government on outstanding scientists and engineers beginning their careers. She received the National Science Foundation Early Career Award (formerly, the Presidential Young Investigator Award)  for her work on data integration. She is a Fellow of the ACM, the President of the VLDB Endowment, and the Program Chair for ACM SIGMOD 2011 in Athens, Greece. Her research interests are in the efficient, effective use of large volumes of complex, heterogeneous data. This interest spans data integration, data exchange, knowledge curation and data sharing. She is a Professor and the Bell Canada Chair of Information Systems at the University of Toronto. In 2011, she was elected to the Fellowship of the Royal Society of Canada (FRSC), Canada's national academy.

Here is info about her Distinguished Lecture:
SPEAKER:  Renée Miller
                  University of Toronto
TITLE:        Big Data Curation
DATE:        Wednesday, January 30. 2013
TIME:         3:30 - 4:30  p.m.
ROOM:      DC 1302

Abstract:
Big data has been described as large, dynamic, or highly heterogeneous data that requires new forms of processing to enable enhanced decision making and insight discovery. Many of these new forms of processing can be described as data curation, that is, the care of data to ensure it maintains its value over time. In this talk, I describe our experience in curating several open data sets. I overview how we have adapted some of the traditional solutions for aligning data and creating semantics to account for the three V's of big data -- volume, velocity and variety.