[Cs-female-staff] WICS event for the fall term

biedl at cs.uwaterloo.ca biedl at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Sep 8 13:53:06 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

welcome to the new term!  In case you don't know me, my name is Therese Biedl,
and I am chairing the Women-in-Computer-Science (WICS) committee here at the
University of Waterloo.    Our goal is to support women in their study of
computer science, and we do this with regular activities, socials, speakers
and other things.

I wanted to send right now a list of all the activities that are upcoming
in the fall, so that you can mark your calendars.  I will send reminders
for some of them again closer to the date.   You can also look them up on
the WICS web site, which is http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~wics/

Here is what's happening:

*  UW Big CSters initial meeting
Open to participants of UW Big CSters mentoring program for 1st year female
CS students.  Contact Jacqueline Mok (jmok28 at gmail.com) if you'd like to
be part of the mentoring program.
When: Monday, 13 September 2010, 4-5pm.
Alternate time: Wednesday, 15 September 2010, 4:30-5:30pm.
Where: MC 2035.

* WICS event: Grace Hopper Panel and Social
When: Wednesday, 6 October 2010, 4pm.
Where: DC 1302.

* Logo contest: WICS is holding a contest to get a logo for WICS.
Details will be on the WICS web page soon; the deadline for
submissions is Tuesday, October 12, 5pm.

* WICS event: Lunch with Susan Landau
When: Tuesday, 9 November 2010, 12-1:30pm.
Where: DC 1302.

* Distinguished speaker: Susan Landau
When: Tuesday, 9 November 2010, late afternoon
Details to be announced

* WICS event: Brown Bag Lunch
When: Wednesday, 8 December 2010, 12-1:30pm.
Where: MC 5136

-----

There are also some other event not directly organized by WICS, but
of possible interest:

* WIM (women-in-math) pasta party
All women in the math faculty are invited.
Email dom-secretary at uwaterloo.ca before Sept. 10 to register.
When: Wednesday, 15 September 2010, 5pm.
Where: MC 5158.

* Grace Hopper celebration of women in computing
(Quite a few women from UW-CS are going to this; if you are, too,
and WICS doesn't know of it, then let us know so that we can connect
you with the others.)
http://gracehopper.org/2010
When: September 28-October 2, 2010
Where: Atlanta, Georgia

* Ontario Celebration of women in computing
WICS will have some money available to support the travel of UW-CS
women.  Details forthcoming.
http://sites.cs.queensu.ca/wisc/ONCWIC/
When: October 22/23, 2010
Where: Kingston, Ontario

I hope to see you at some of these events!
Therese

Therese Biedl                           biedl at uwaterloo.ca (email)
Associate Professor
David R. Cheriton School of CS
University of Waterloo                  +1-519-888-4567x34721 (phone)
Waterloo, Ontario N2L3G1, Canada        +1-519-885-1208 (fax)

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human
race.  --- H.G.Wells"